I have this habit of taking quizzes on Facebook on playbuzz.com. Just curiosity I guess and of course the eternal hope that the answer to ‘Who is the perfect man for you? ” will throw up Jimmy Page as the answer, which in some mysterious way would be backed by divine sanction.
Question: Am I totally pathetic?
Reviewed. Please don’t answer that. I know I am pathetically besotted with the beautiful Pagey 🙂
Well, I took this quiz today ”What emotion are you guided by ? “. It said ”Confidence” and the description is “You are one of those people who were born to lead. You let your confidence lead you in life, but you’re never arrogant or condescending, you know what you’re worth and you don’t need to constantly flaunt it. You’re brave and trustworthy, you know what you want and you always figure out how to get it. Keep that self esteem up, it’s the best way to accomplish everything you’ve ever dreamed” http://www.playbuzz.com/gregs/what-emotion-are-you-guided-by
I was pleased as punch reading this. I beamed. A leader,yeah.People heeding my commands.Heil me! Happy feelings washed over me to be interrupted by ” I am awake.Where is my tea ?”. Leader becomes follower!
I ran to make tea for the ONLY guy who can and has me wrapped around his little finger.
No, he is not my Beloved Shams.He is also not the absolutely lovely Jimmy Page!
But , he is my nephew.My sister’s son 🙂
Ok, so he is this just- turned-21 yr old cool young man staying in London after completing his engineering there. He is enormously good looking with long hair,tall and lithe. He is ridiculously good at cricket. He plays the lead guitar and hold your breath..he loves classic rock! I sound totally like an obsessive Mom, right ? But I ain’t biased. I am just stating facts 🙂
But what endears him to me most is the compassion he displays to people who in so many ways are under-privileged and distressed. He has a way with animals. I remember once many years back ,he stopped his motorcycle to pick up an injured butterfly on the path. I truly felt proud of this fella then.
The kid who peed mercilessly on me in his baby days,whose nappies I changed and whose bums I washed,who spit Farex/gooey baby food at me and I didn’t punch him back, has grown up into a fine human being.
But. But. Oh but..oh bloody but, actually.
Why the dismay ?
Well, when the nephew is around, I morph into this totally un-recognizable, eager-to-please-extremely -efficient- domestic slave, no-mind & will -of my own , completely-un-Black Mamba( Uma Thurman in Kill Bill refs) character. And I morph voluntarily and happily. Jeez!
I cite some instances of my abject deterioration in the times when my nephew is around.
1. His room is cleaned by me, bed made,pillows plumped etc. No maid, no domestic help, mind you.This is done akin to a ‘mission’.
2. All his favorite dishes are made by…. me naturally. That normally counts up to 16/17 dishes. The dining table groans. I take leave from work just to cook, bake, roast etc etc with maniacal speed and accuracy, screaming at my staff that would make Gordon Ramsay look angelic.By the way, he says I am world’s best cook 🙂
3. I keep stalking him from the time he leaves his flat and gets on the tube with the consequence that he shuts down his mobile. Then I start tracking his flight on the Airlines site.
4. He arrives with huge gifts of chocolates for me. Then cruelly rations it out for me, saying that I need to be conscious of health, fitness etc. I meekly agree
5. He cracks wise ones at my expense. Sample : You need an excel-sheet to keep track of your countless shoes,boots, coats, T’s, jeans,pullovers, shalwar-kameez, dupattas, accesories etc. I smile lovingly at him.Any other man would have been be-headed for such a statement.
6.He drags me to sc-fi movies which I hate.These are in 3D,which give me a head ache.This evening while I want to watch Salman Khan’s ‘Kick’, he says he has booked us for ‘ Dawn of the Planet of The Apes’. Any one else, who would have had the temerity to do such a thing, would have been given fifty lashes, while I reclined and ate grapes.
7. I remember this wee embarrassing moment a few years back. At his valedictory session in the British School, New Delhi, the Principal thus addressed ” Good evening students, anxious parents and an Aunt”. Jeez,the man looked pointedly and fearfully at me. I guess the Principal took his revenge of two years of ‘ relentlessly close monitoring’ by me. Damn, did he think it was harassment ?
8. Do you know I actually change if this erstwhile snotty kid disapproves of my clothes on the disgustingly male grounds of them ‘drawing attention’ ? My guy has never repeated this blasphemy after I threw all his clothes into this quaint little brook, delightfully gurgling past our hotel room while we were on holiday in Kashmir.
9. My gym trainer looks surprised as I trail in my ba-ba black sheep incarnation after a long hiatus behind the fitness freak nephew.He further looks aghast as I sweat, kick , grunt with a happy smile on my face.
10. Oh , yes, the final nail on my domestic-nitwit-slave coffin. He is allowed to sprawl on my BRAND new sofa watching football.I only gently remonstrate ONCE with him.
On a sombre note though, I love this from Khalil Gibran:
“Your children are not your children.
They are sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the make upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness.
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He also loves the bow that is stable”
This Aunt bends with gladness at the archer’s hand, so that the arrow flies straight, strong, far and proud.
Love you,my former little Dennis, the menace.My rockstar.Thank you for making my life beautiful and complete 🙂